 CAD / Development / 10487
Re: Maximum depth of ldraw models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 03:13:55 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I notice that no maximum depth is given by the standard.  How
potentially non-compliant would a renderer be if it fails because parts
in a model are too deeply nested (a maximum of as little as 16 on some
OpenGL implementations).  I notice that no existing parts are nested
more than 7 files deep, but I want to be sure.

Hmm.  I use MPD models a lot, there can be several levels of nesting within a
single .mpd file, and I have been known to refer to .mpd files from other .mpd
files.

MPD files don't add that many extra levels... usually only 2, isn't it?
  Further, the only stacking that generally needs to occur at the mpd
level is modification of the modelview matrix, which opengl guarantees a
minimum of 32.  It's only in files that use a notion of a current color
that the maximum of 16 would be applicable.

I'm not sure how deep my nesting of model files goes, but I'd be a little
concerned about a limit of 16 levels.  I wonder if ldraw renderers tend to
flatten out the nesting in part files?

Well, if no existing ldraw model actually pushes that limit, it wouldn't
be something that would have come up before now.   But I'd be very
interested in knowing how close files are getting to that limit... if
it's exceeded by any, then the renderers are obviously flattening out
the files themselves and not using ldraw file nesting as a direct
mapping to appropriate opengl stacking commands.