 CAD / Development / 10484
Re: Maximum depth of ldraw models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:18:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I notice that no maximum depth is given by the standard.  How
potentially non-compliant would a renderer be if it fails because parts
in a model are too deeply nested (a maximum of as little as 16 on some
OpenGL implementations).  I notice that no existing parts are nested
more than 7 files deep, but I want to be sure.

Hmm.  I use MPD models a lot, there can be several levels of nesting within a
single .mpd file, and I have been known to refer to .mpd files from other .mpd
files.

I'm not sure how deep my nesting of model files goes, but I'd be a little
concerned about a limit of 16 levels.  I wonder if ldraw renderers tend to
flatten out the nesting in part files?

Steve