 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 73
Re: Possible replacement for 1-8sphe.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:25:03 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs wrote:

I think your both of your files are significant improvements over the
existing primitives.

My only concern is the possible impact changing the primitive could have • on
other files, where surfaces intersect spheres, but not at the edges of the
1-8sphe.dat.  A quick search of the parts library shows there are 103 • files
which include the text '-8sph.dat'.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way to
tell which files have neat joins to the spheres, and which don't...

So does someone want to check a few of the impacted files, and see if
there's a potential problem?

I actually looked at all of the files that contain the string sphe while
checking to see the results of my primitive substitution (which uses the
same tesselation of course), and I don't recall having noticed any real
issues.  However, while I was looking for issues in a general sense, I
wasn't looking for them in the specific sense of the intersections.  In
addition, I think it would be a good idea for someone other than my self to
do a check.

One thing I can suggest, though, is an extremely fast way of looking at the
files which contain the sphere primitive.  Before doing anything, back up
your 1-8sphe.dat file in your p directory and then drop the one I posted in
its place.  Next, select the Parts directory in Explorer, and hit Ctrl+F to
do a find.  Enter the string 8sphe into the "Containing text" field.  (If
you are running NT 4 without the IE 4 extensions, you will have to switch to
the Advanced tab to find this field.)  Perform the find, which will fill in
beneath.  Resize the window if you want so that you can see more files.
Then, drag and drop the files into either L3Lab or LDView.  Remember that in
both of these programs you can drop files directly onto the program window.

If you are using LDView, you will probably want to turn primitive
substitution off.  One advantage of doing this in LDView is that it
auto-scales when you open a model.  This means that all you have to do is
rotate it around.  On the other hand, L3Lab stays at whatever zoom factor
you set, so something like 500% can be a reasonable setting for a bunch of
different parts, since non-baseplate parts all tend to be relatively
similarly sized.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)