 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 402
Re: N-Fedge primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 03:20:27 GMT

Chris Dee wrote:

   I think we should create a 1-1edge, and a 1-2edge as aliases for 4-4edge and 2-4edge (respectively), so we have all of them available in least terms.

I don’t see the benefit from this - the naming convention is well established and existing part authors know how to work with it. Is it that hard to learn?
It’s not really that hard, but my mind recoils at a senseless inconsistency, and this, and the following, are it. Note that I suggested an alias, not move, and certainly not removing the existing names.

   Also, the names aren’t quite consistent: 4-4edge should have a name line added: • “0 Circle 1.0”. 5-8edge should be renamed from “Edge 0.625” to “Circle 0.625”.

Yes - as I have responded by email, this is historical. The “descriptions” of primitives serve no other purpose than internal documentation - they’re not surfaced to the Parts List, for example.
Yes, but they may well be surfaced to other software -- and probably should be. I wouldn’t have noticed if I didn’t have a piece of software (soon to be posted) that displayed the name of 4-4edge.dat. http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=45 says that if the first line in the file is a 0 line, then that gives the name of the model “(at least for parts files)”. Is it incorrect to consider primitives a strange sort of part file?

   For the sake of tidiness and for consistency with the other *edge.dat primitive that do have headers, I have added a revised 5-8edge.dat file to the Parts Tracker.
Great, but 4-4 is the one I was really worried about, not 5-8. I realize this is pedantic, but I decided to start with the trivial, and work my way up to the more complex.

   I think this information is already well explained in the introductory section • for curved primitives at http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/primref/#curv. What is the benefit of
duplicating this? Sorry, my bad; somehow I managed to miss reading the introduction to the section.

   -=- James Mastros
Chris Dee (Parts Tracker admin and Primitives Reference author)
And many thanks for your good work -- I didn’t realize the Prim Reference was your work.

-=- James Mastros