 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 401
Re: N-Fedge primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:19:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, James Mastros wrote:
Hello, everyone.
  This was posted with NNTP, but seems to have dissappeared somehow, so I'm
re-posting with the http interface.  My appolgies if it turns up twice.
  I'm just getting started with LDraw, and returning to the lego-driven
days of my youth, and I'm starting to find places where the ldraw library
needs help.

Great - we are always looking for constructive help.

Expect to get inundated with posts by me soon, but I have to start
somewhere, and this is it for the moment.

The N-Fedge primitives are mostly consistent and documented, but, well, not
quite.  The currently existing ones are:

1-4edge.dat   1-8edge.dat   1-16edge.dat
2-4edge.dat
3-4edge.dat   3-8edge.dat   3-16edge.dat
4-4edge.dat
              5-8edge.dat

I think we should create a 1-1edge, and a 1-2edge as aliases for 4-4edge and
2-4edge (respectively), so we have all of them available in least terms.

I don't see the benefit from this - the naming convention is well established
and existing part authors know how to work with it. Is it that hard to learn?

Also, the names aren't quite consistent: 4-4edge should have a name line added:
"0 Circle 1.0".  5-8edge should be renamed from "Edge 0.625" to "Circle 0.625".

Yes - as I have responded by email, this is historical. The "descriptions" of
primitives serve no other purpose than internal documentation - they're not
surfaced to the Parts List, for example. For the sake of tidiness and for
consistency with the other *edge.dat primitive that do have headers, I have
added a revised 5-8edge.dat file to the Parts Tracker.

The documentation at <http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/primref/#curv2d>
should be expanded somewhat:
  This suite of primitives are used for edges which comprise
  4-4edge).  They start at 1 0 0, and continue through 0 1 0.  All have
  radius 1 and no width.

I think this information is already well explained in the introductory section
for curved primitives at
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/primref/#curv>. What is the benefit of
duplicating this?

    -=- James Mastros

Chris Dee (Parts Tracker admin and Primitives Reference author)