 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 399
Re: cylinders missing conditional lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:25:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
For consistency, I would say that these primitives are updated
with conditional lines at both ends.

Sure, but make sure that you replace the one acutely angled single
conditional line with two tangent lines.

I don't get that last thing with tangent lines (probably because english is not
my native language).

At the moment the official library contains 25 partial cylinder and cone
primitives, out of which 21 have conditional lines at both ends and 4 only at
one end, and 17 hi-res primitives, out of which 13 have conditional lines at
both ends and 4 only at one end.
For consistency I would say that all these primitives should be using the same
handling for conditional lines. This can be achieved in three ways:
* Update 8 primitives to have conditional lines at both ends
* Update 34 primitives to have a conditional line at one end only (then there's
a question: why on one end?)
* Update all 42 primitives to have no conditional lines at the ends (and update
many, many, many parts that use them.
(I have not counted the primitives currently on the Parts Tracker).

The problem with s-curves happens with the existing official primitives, too.
Especially in double s-curves, as all these primitives have a conditional line
at least at one end.

At the moment many parts using any of the 8 mentioned primitives (see up in this
thread) are missing conditional lines, as the authors did not add the missing
conditional lines into the parts.
Take a close look at part 6127 and see that there is a partial conditional line
at the end of a cone. This cone is made up out of three different cones:
1-4con10 with a conditional line missing, and 1-4con4 and 1-4con7 with
conditional lines at both ends.

Niels