 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 398
Re: cylinders missing conditional lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:52:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
When using the 2-4cyli primitive I noticed one conditional line
missing, so I compared all different cyli primitives. Some have
conditional lines at both ends, some have not.

This thread pops up from time to time and never seems to get
resolved.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=350&t=i&v=a

I think the problem is this:  If you fix the all the primitives, then
you really must check all the parts that use them.  So we end up
ignoring it and moving on.  If you're truely motivated, you can
fix all the cylinders to have conditional lines on both ends matching
the red ones in Travis' diagram.  But then the real work begins.

I checked a few official parts that use the 2-4cyli primitive.
And all the parts I have checked so far are missing the conditional
line at one end of the cylinder. So I suspect that part authors
expect that all partial cylinder primitives have conditional lines
at both ends and don't check if these have to be added to the part
manually.

How bad is it when two conditional lines overlap?
I assume it is not a problem, since this will happen when a 1-4cyli
and a 1-16cyli are used together (both these primitives have
conditional lines at both ends).

Actually, if you use conditional lines that follow the red tangent
lines, as in Travis' diagram, then you want them to overlap.  You
get partial coverage from each of them that adds up to the total
coverage you'd get from the original style of conditional lines,
which placed a more acutely angled line at one end only.

Often cones with irregular radii are created using different cones
in a row.  When a 1-4con10 and any other 1-4con primitives are used
together (like in part 6127.dat) the edge of the 1-4con10 is missing
a conditional line.

That works out just fine as long as the curve is in the same
direction.  It gets a bit sloppy when you introduce an S curve,
but I think the only solution to that is to move the conditional
lines out of the primitives, and into the parts.

Of all official primitives the following ones are missing a conditional
line at one end:
* 1-8cyli
* 2-4cyli
* 3-4cyli
* 3-8cyli
* 1-4con10
* 48\1-4con5
* 48\1-4con6
* 48\1-4con9

For consistency, I would say that these primitives are updated
with conditional lines at both ends.

Sure, but make sure that you replace the one acutely angled single
conditional line with two tangent lines.

Don