 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 397
Re: cylinders missing conditional lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:21:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
When using the 2-4cyli primitive I noticed one conditional line missing, so I
compared all different cyli primitives. Some have conditional lines at both
ends, some have not.

This thread pops up from time to time and never seems to get
resolved.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=350&t=i&v=a

I think the problem is this:  If you fix the all the primitives, then
you really must check all the parts that use them.  So we end up
ignoring it and moving on.  If you're truely motivated, you can
fix all the cylinders to have conditional lines on both ends matching
the red ones in Travis' diagram.  But then the real work begins.

I checked a few official parts that use the 2-4cyli primitive.
And all the parts I have checked so far are missing the conditional line at one
end of the cylinder. So I suspect that part authors expect that all partial
cylinder primitives have conditional lines at both ends and don't check if these
have to be added to the part manually.

How bad is it when two conditional lines overlap?
I assume it is not a problem, since this will happen when a 1-4cyli and a
1-16cyli are used together (both these primitives have conditional lines at both
ends).

Often cones with irregular radii are created using different cones in a row.
When a 1-4con10 and any other 1-4con primitives are used together (like in part
6127.dat) the edge of the 1-4con10 is missing a conditional line.

Of all official primitives the following ones are missing a conditional line at
one end:
* 1-8cyli
* 2-4cyli
* 3-4cyli
* 3-8cyli
* 1-4con10
* 48\1-4con5
* 48\1-4con6
* 48\1-4con9

For consistency, I would say that these primitives are updated with conditional
lines at both ends.

Niels