 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 250
Re: high-res sphere primitive with type 5 lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 03:30:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs wrote:

Well, based on comments in some other threads, I came to the conclusion that
the type 5 lines I had around the edge of my original primitive where wrong.
I have now updated them accordingly.

This version is the same as the last other than that.  The only difference
lies in the control points that hang out in space off the edges of the
sphere.  In the previous version, I used a continuation of the sphere for
these control points.  In this version, I used a point projected along one
of the axes.

Is that true for all three edges of the sphere?

Yes.  The standard sphere primitive has type 5 lines on all three edges.
They are all necessary in order to work right (with the axis-aligned edge
control points).  My updated type 5 lines project along a different axis for
each edge, of course.

[snip]
3 16 1.000 -0.000 0.000 0.991 0.000 0.131 0.991 0.131 0.000
[snip]

I thought you were generating to 4 decimals?  You know, like this:

5 24 1 0 0 0.9914 0.1305 0 1 0 -1 0.9914 0 0.1305
[snip]

Now don't I feel stupid :-).  Especially given that not having the edges
exactly match the triangles would lead to rendering problems.  I have posted
a fixed file as a reply to my original message.

For technical reasons, I can either generate the triangles or the type 5
lines with my code, but not both at the same time.  The reason for the
screwup is that I used a previously generated file for the triangles, and
newly generated file for the type 5 lines and then just pasted the two files
together.  Obviously the original file was generated with different accuracy.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)