 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5420
Re: Question on part naming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:09:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I noticed some inconsistancy in the naming of some of the wedge parts.  Some are
named with the smaller number first, and others are named with the numbers
placed to match the numbers used on bricks based on the X and Z axes.

For example, 41765 is named Wedge 2 x 6 Double Inverted Left.  So the small
number is placed first (like on bricks), but since it's rotated 90 degrees about
Y relative to the bricks, I don't know if this is correct.

6153 is an example of the other naming, and is named Wedge 6 x 4.  Here, the
name reflects the fact that it is rotated 90 degrees relative to bricks with
respect to its long axis.

Then we have parts 43712 and 43713, which are both currently on the tracker.
43712 uses the 4x6 naming scheme, and 43713 uses the 6x4 naming scheme.  Since
they are complementary parts, their names really need to match.  So which naming
scheme is correct?

I was just surfing lego.com and came across the new tutorials.  In one of the
pages, a similar although much simpler question than yours was asked and
answered.

http://www.lego.com/eng/create/designschool/lesson.asp?id=1_a&page=2

I almost wanted to port you question for the experts at lego.com to answer.
Unfortunately, I don't know how old you are. :-O

Cheers
- Edwin