 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5041
5040  |  5042
Subject:
File Size Concerns ( Was Re: Animal Tail Section end (NEW))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:30:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The file size concerns have gotten entirly out of hand.

I have to strongly disagree with this.  If a file can be done just as well with fewer
bytes, that's a good thing.  Good for downloading, good for maintaining the part,
good for storing the parts library.

I agree with the elimination of excess but I disagree with a reduction in part
quality simply because it is "too large"

... Therefore the amount addded in
new files is 550 MB and total including current files is (550 + 35.3) 585.3 MB.

I won't argue with your figures, I think 585MB is a reasonable estimate.

If 585.3 MB is too large for your hard drive then it's time to get a new hard
drive.  The current price on Pricewatch for a 20GB hard drive is $32 US which
isn't very much even for a teenager mowing lawns for a living.

If bandwidth is your concern, we can get around that by sending you a copy of
the library on CD.

That's all true, but it's more convenient -- for everyone -- to have a smaller
library that is easier to store and transmit.  There are any number of reasons that
people can't/won't upgrade.

Add to this the fact that bloated[1] part files are frequently due to underuse of
primitives, overuse of decimals places, etc.  There is definitely a case for keeping
an eye on the size of files, and looking more closely at files that are overly large.

I agree again.  The point I was trying to make is size concerns should not be
the only reason to redo a quality[1] part.  The size of a part should be
secondary to achieving a faithful reproduction of the part.

-Orion

--
[1]  Quality in this context means error free and ready for certification