 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5039
Re: Animal Tail Section end (NEW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:15:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The file size concern have gotten entirly out of hand.

I have to strongly disagree with this.  If a file can be done just as well with fewer
bytes, that's a good thing.  Good for downloading, good for maintaining the part,
good for storing the parts library.

... Therefore the amount addded in
new files is 550 MB and total including current files is (550 + 35.3) 585.3 MB.

I won't argue with your figures, I think 585MB is a reasonable estimate.

If 585.3 MB is too large for your hard drive then it's time to get a new hard
drive.  The current price on Pricewatch for a 20GB hard drive is $32 US which
isn't very much even for a teenager mowing lawns for a living.

If bandwidth is your concern, we can get around that by sending you a copy of
the library on CD.

That's all true, but it's more convenient -- for everyone -- to have a smaller
library that is easier to store and transmit.  There are any number of reasons that
people can't/won't upgrade.

Add to this the fact that bloated[1] part files are frequently due to underuse of
primitives, overuse of decimals places, etc.  There is definitely a case for keeping
an eye on the size of files, and looking more closely at files that are overly large.

--
Steve
1) "Bloated" meaning "bigger than it needs to be"; compare with "just as big as it