 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4799
4798  |  4800
Subject:
Parts Tracker part Discussion: x523, Minifig Visor with Feather
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:34:48 GMT

This part is currently available here, but be warned, it's origin may change.
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x523.dat

'Minifig Helmet Visor with Grille and Feather'
It looks like Peeron changes the name on this part since I started it, Should I
change it to match?
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x105

Reviewer: Steffen
Certification: hold
Comments:
No BFC errors, no L3P errors, no missing lines spotted.
Marvellous work!

Thanks!

I question the origin: when I add a minifig head to this part,
it cannot look through the slot - dangerous for a knight, I guess.
You can tell me that this is correct when using this part
with the appropriate helmet and I'll agree.

The origin was left at the pivot point since I was trying to match it up with
193.dat Helmet
The Pivot point on 193.dat is 5.5 ldu below it's origin. I believe it to be
actually at 5.0 ldu below. I'm done makeing comments on the helmets.

Uhm, Paul? Small critics: have a look at this part when
rendered with POVRay. Can something be done about that "quaddiness"
at the top? Perhaps adding some sheared cylinder segments instead
of quads?

Do you have this part? I know the front facing edges are a bit blocky compared
to the rest. I started the part there. Much more changing there will mean
inlining all the cylinder and sloped cyilnder primitives there. Keep in mind
this part is a much higher resolution part than most all other minifig parts.

Syntax error in category and keywords: HOLD

huh?

At Fri Jul 25 12:00:07 2003, the following review was posted:

Reviewer: OrionP
Certification: hold
Comments:
There are several problems with this part:

- The origin should be changed so that it is plugin compatible with 193.dat > (just like 2446 and 2447)

Yes, eventually... see notes above.

- When placed on part 193.dat and the nubs lined up, a standard smily head's
eyes should line up with the visor slot. Thay don't with this part.

Yes, I saw this too. I have remeasured the part several times. I even raised the
slot by 1.5 ldu. (A little artistic change...)
- This part should fit tighter against part 193.dat. Right now it seems to > > be a little too wide.

Here again... amazing what a small difference will make at a large zoom level.
Keep in mind the helmet is modeled using 16ths and the visor using 48ths. I
noted on the 193.dat and 193b.dat files that they were undersized by 1 ldu
(diameter). Not much to really make a difference, but it is noticable when
attached to another part.

At Fri Jul 25 23:00:03 2003, the following review was posted:

Reviewer: BrickCaster
Certification: novote
Comments:
Many thanks Paul, this part is close to our castle-fan hearts.

Your welcome. Also give a big thanks to all the Part Sellers on BrickLink.
Without them, I would not have been able to obtain this part for modeling.
http://www.bricklink.com/
I will try to get some of the parts I have purchased together and put up a
picture some time showing the parts I may do when I find time.
(I need to clean up that darn Adventurer's hat so it can be released with a
"needs work" tag.)

Note about the helmet: 193.dat is "the appropriate helmet".
No other helmet can hold this visor.

Yes, I believe you are correct.

Paul