 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4749
Re: Part Fix 3959 Space Gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 03:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I want to reopen this discussion for two reasons.

I'd really rather not.

1) We are having a "discussion" on parts tracker about this part. That's the
wrong way to do things, in my view.

Definitely agree with you there.

I placed a hold, the current author responded with counter arguments and we now
have at least 4 "reviews" that are really discussion. This despite a suggestion
that it needs to be taken to LUGNET to discuss it.

Argh.  This has got to stop.  Please, people!  The Parts Tracker is not
a discussion blog.  Don't use it for conversations!

2) "Minifig" - I was lead to believe that we were trying to deemphasise the use
of "minifig" in part names that are not clearly minifig centric.

I'm not sure where that idea came from.

Unlike, say, a
screwdriver, or a hat, or a pair of goggles (all of which I have SEEN used in
non minifig ways but which most people would agree are clearly minifig centric)
this part has many many uses, the majority of which are not as a minifig
utensil, that is, a thing that a minifig holds.

I agree with your point here, but this is ground we covered before.

You can make the same argument about the loudhailer/megaphone/bullhorn.

Therefore I do not agree that minifig should be in the name.

3) "Torch" - Torch is only one of the possible uses of this part. Further, when
used as a torch (in the US usage, not the UK flashlight usage) it is vanishingly
rare that there is a minifig holding it! Most of the time when used as a torch
or wall sconce, it's plugged into a wall. So "minifig torch" doesn't make
sense.

It's "Torch" in the UK sense.

I feel the proper name is one that is shape based. This part is, primarily, a
rod system part with accessories/protuberances. So it should be named that way,
in my opinion.

Feel free to suggest keywords, but I feel the name should stay as
"Minifig Torch", and the CATEGORY should remain as Minifig Accessory.

Once we have member polls running on ldraw.org, this type of point would
be something I'd like to see put up for poll.  Not to select a specific
name, but to get a feel for what people would like in general.

Steve