 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3602
Re: Part x176
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:08:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford writes:

Is there any reason an "x" number cannot co-exist with a matching "real"
number? Surely, if the correct number is subsequently obtained, the "xnnn" can
be changed to a "moved-to" stub. Is this just to avoid confusion?

The "x" is a temporary prefix, indicating that it's a new part for which we
don't know the real part number.  If we don't find the real number before
the new file is made official, the "x" is dropped.  There's no point in
having an "xnnn" number when the "nnn" is an official number -- we can't
release the part that way, so why even start out with it?

Steve