 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2381
  Bendible Objects?

What's the easiest way to form bendilble object in the DAT format? I found a utility for hose part 754 but nothing for tubes, hoses in various Technis sets, flexible axles, etc... Is there another utility out there? Also, on a side note, I'm trying (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

For bendable axles and electric wires you could use my bend thingie creator. The axles are the best but the wires aren't that great. (URL) <pobursky@hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws G9AqJE.861@lugnet.com... (...) found (...) Technis (...) (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) It's generally quite difficult to model the flexible elements. I've made major mode for Emacs (an editor) which adds functions to model some bent elements. Take a look at some tutorials here: (URL) included some instructions as to how to (...) (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) I don't know Rhino, but what I can say stl2dat can handle ascii and binary stl format. If Rhino can only produce stl data in the positive quadrant, stl2dat can change the origin in the dat file with the -o x y z option. The most tricky point (...) (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

I highly recommend Fredrik's LDraw-Mode. It will take you a little while to find the Emacs stuff and install it, plus some time to figure out how to bend stuff. But once you make the initial investment it is very easy to create wonderful curving (...) (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) Thanks! I'd say, though, that the instruction on my site are probably aimed at the wrong crowd. I should probably rewrite it all with users who are new to Emacs in mind. I can't promise to do this anytime soon, but it's on my TODO-list. In the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

Thanks Koen, even if my German is a bit rusty. -Orion "If you’re going to sin, sin against God, not the bureaucracy. God will forgive you but the bureaucracy won’t." - Adm. H.G. Rickover (USN) (24 years ago, 27-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

You are the most awesome person in the world Fredrik! (No, really) If only I could have found this sooner.... -Orion (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) I am certainly very happy to hear that you've found it interesting! It would be interesting to see what kind models you've composed using the flexible elements. Please feel free to post some of them on lugnet.cad.dat.models if you want to! (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) I have followed all the instructions, but LDraw-mode won't load in my emacs under Windows 2000. Overview: 1) emacs is on my f-drive under "F:\emacs-20.7-fullb...0.7\bin/"; 2) the ".emacs" file is in the root (F:\), so is the compiled (...) (23 years ago, 18-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) Generally, you may want to replace backward slashes with forward ones when talking with Emacs. However, I believe that Emacs is generally clever enough to understand what you mean, so I don't think this is what stops your progress. Still, you (...) (23 years ago, 18-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

Thanks, Fred! That was fast! :-o Putting .emacs in C:\ fixed the problem (I even see the font in colors :-)). Now onto bending a piece of straw/hose from my Mindstorms Vision Command Set! BTW: d'you have any idea on how long (ldraw units) this part (...) (23 years ago, 18-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Bendible Objects?

(...) Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to know. How do you go about creating eliptic tori to simulate a pully band tunnign from A to B. Thank You! Greetings, Da Byte (23 years ago, 18-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)