 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1520
Re: [part] Updated S\973S01.DAT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:38:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Chris Dee wrote:

[about changing the neck-mark on minifig torso part files]

My personal (perfectionist) preference would be to remove the mark from
973s01.dat and add it in the correct colour to each decorated torso.

Right.

Since 973.dat would be the only file without a neckmark, it makes sense to
keep the 3/4 neck in s\973s01.dat, and have each torso file supply the
remaining 2-4cyli.dat with whatever color was appropo.

Another approach is to remove the entire neck from s\973s01.dat, and put it
in each part file.  That would be more flexible, but I doubt that would be
usable flexibility, IYKWIM.

Since I have authored the majority of the torsos, I feel a responsibility to do
this (wishing I'd challenged the status quo when I started).

Have a go at it, if you want.  Although I still feel a certain ownership of
the core torso design...

I'd need to check
that this does not create more varients where we have hardcoded the torso
colour.

Good point.  Doing a very small survey, it appears that nearly all neck
marks are either black or white.  Which limits the potential impact.

It appears there are three torso-files where the base torso is fixed-color:

973p11.dat    Minifig Torso with Dungarees Pattern
973p65.dat    Minifig Torso with Futuron Pattern
973p15.dat    Minifig Torso with Horizontal Stripes Pattern

(BTW, why did we release three versions of the Forestman w/ Collar file,
rather than letting the collar-color roam free?)

Considering that whatever changes you make will be an improvement on the
current situation, I wouldn't worry too much about variations.

This will not be soon (ie. probably not in time to be included in 2000-02) as I
have other parts I want to finish first. For the benefit of any other torso
work-in-progress, I'll post details of the changes here.

I'm planning on doing a big category reorganization of the Minifig parts
for 2000-03, so it would be good to update the torso files then.

Steve