 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1511
Re: modeling questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Dennis Osborn wrote:

Hello all. It has been a couple of days since I completed the model of the
bird and proclaimed it finished.  Now I realize there is one more thing to do.

Since the bird is symetical vertically, I have "cut" the bird in half.  I
want to inline the half-bird in the file and then create both half with
lines something like this:

1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 bird.dat          original half
1 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 bird.dat         mirrored half

Actually, this is the reverse of inlining.  It doesn't really have a name.
Outlining?  Subfiling?

Question: Will this work?  It cuts the file size by 40%.  I need
documentation on inlining, if this is what I need, or instructions on what I
do need to do.

Yes, it will work.  All you do is copy half the DAT code to another file
(like s\2546s01.dat).  Then replace all the you are subfiling with the two
lines you listed.

Personally, I would not make this change to this file.  Right now, 2546.dat
is only 22K.  If you convert the part to two files, you will save space in
archives, but you could end up using more space on hard drives.

For issues of file size, I don't think about using subfiles until the
part-file is over 64K.  And it doesn't become an important issue until
around 100K.

Next, the parrot is the bird with different surface coloring.  How do you
create the surface coloring?  Do I just set the color of the triangles and
quads to the color that I want?  That seems simplist.

Yah, that's basically it.  The thing you want to avoid is having two
different objects occupy the same space, but with different colors.  So if
you can just recode the quads/triangles to use the pattern colors, you'll
be set.

Steve