 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1382
1381  |  1383
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: [new part] Animal Bird (falcon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:11:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Dennis Osborn writes:
Here is the first version of the falcon that I feel confident releaseing to
the public.

Overall, it looks good.  It's definitely too squat (it should be 50LDU tall,
from the base to the top of the head), but you knew that already...

This is the first piece I have modeled and I chose a difficult
piece to do.

Yes, you did!  You seem to be doing fine with it.

(How do you attach a file to a message at lugnet without getting it included
in the body of the message?)

Actually, you don't/can't.

I used points with two decimal while others rarly use
them at all.

Decimal usage depends heavily on the part.

When joining primitive-files to my own graphic primitives (lines, triangles,
etc), I will typically use 3 decimal places.

If I am estimating the position for a vertex on a part, I will tend to use
<=2 decimals, depending on how closely I can measure the part.

When writing a geometric primitive file, the standard is to use 4 decimal
places, because the primitives are so heavily scaled upwards.

For entering rotation/scaling/skewing values on a primitive- or sub-file,
using more decimal places may be useful, to provide more accurate results in
the transformed object.

Also, I have left the bottom of the bird undone.  On the
piece, this is where the hole for the stud would be.  Is it required to put
it in?

Yes.

If so, did my use of decimal screw up the use of a primative?

Uh, that shouldn't have any impact on adding more stuff.  The core of the
stud-hole should be something like the following.  BTW, I measured the depth
of the hole by inserting a light-sabre rod.  It went in 32LDU before sticking.

1 16 0   0 10 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0  -4 10 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0  -4 10 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0 -32 10 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0 -32 10 -4 0 0 0  1 0 0 0 -4 4-4disc.dat
1 16 0 -32 10  4 0 0 0 28 0 0 0 4 4-4cyli.dat
1 16 0  -4 10  2 0 0 0  1 0 0 0 2 ring2.dat
1 16 0  -4 10  6 0 0 0  4 0 0 0 6 4-4cyli.dat
1 16 0   0 10  2 0 0 0  1 0 0 0 2 ring3.dat

One technique that can be useful for drawing parts of circles (like the base
of the bird) is to use the 1-4edge.dat primitive, fit it into the right
position, then inline the file.  Then you can edit the inlined code,
removing any sections that don't fit in the part.

Any suggestions of how I could improve the piece would be welcomed.

Just a few things:
1. Center the bird on the stud-hole.
2. Using the edge-color for the eye is a cool idea, but might not be the
best approach, because L3P and L3Lab will both complain about it.  In every
model that ever uses this part.
3. Use a standard LCAD header on the file.  Like this:

   0 Animal Bird
   0 Name: 2546.dat
   0 Author: DENNIS OSBORN
   0 Unofficial Element

4. Also, even if you don't make a file for the parrot, be sure to preserve
the comments about the wing-areas, so some later author can easily find the
bits that need to be modified.

Nice work, Dennis!

Steve