 CAD / 9876
Re: Lego XML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 02:31:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Todd Lehman wrote:

BTW, how do people feel about specifying colors in hex RGB format?  I'm not
particularly comfortable with RGB unless it's a linear (e.g., non-gamma-
corrected) RGB color space.

I've thought about this, because most LDraw-programs (ie, LDLite, L3Lab, MLCAD, L3P,
ldglite, LDView?) provide a way to code color-values directly in some RGB method.

My issue is that different systems (computer systems, graphics systems) render colors
differently.  So it would seem 'safer' or more portable to me to stick with a color
ID method, so we'd all know that color 1 (or Blue-0, or whatever) is classic lego
blue.  If your system wants to render that as 0000FF, that's fine.

Perhaps we could define multiple alternative
ways to specify a color?  By LDraw color ID, by RGB value, by LEGO internal
color number, etc.?

Yes, that would be best -- like the color chart on Peeron cross-references a number
of different sources?

On that note, maybe someone can help me work out an XML output specification
for the colors on LUGNET's LEGO Color Reference:

  http://guide.lugnet.com/color/

I'd love to, but I've got no time.  I hope you get some volunteers.

Steve