 CAD / 883
Re: Ahhh... the soil of my toil
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:23:55 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
Doesn't 3DS have objects which are equivalent to LDraw's primitives?
Seems like commercial software would want to be able to do curved
surfaces...

Steve

nope.. i mean, you can create a sphere or cylinder, etc. in 3DS with
primatives, but in just about all commercial modeling/rendering software
(lightwave, softimage, MAX) everything is distilled down to verts/faces...
those primitives are still treated the same as any wholly-user-defined object
in terms of the fact that it is still just verts/faces to the renderer...
where the power of the software comes in is being able to process those faces
via "smoothing groups" which turn faceted spheres (like we see in POV-Ray with
our .DATs) into smooth balls... (if we were porting our .DATs to 3DSMAX then we
wouln't have minifigs with faceted helmets, the renderer's shading routines
would "smooth" them out)...
all the meshes themselves are still just verts that make up faces, no matter
what technique you used to model them.. it's actually better this way, more
powerful, more flexible... just makes porting the mesh more work... still, i
wouldn't trade the tools and control available in proggys on this level for
anything.. that's why i'm working so hard on this.. cause i KNOW i can model
like a demon in MAX, but my old way of converting it to .DAT manually was
keeping me from getting things done, keeping me from even bothering to start
working on elements... and it never fails that the elements i want to do are
always super intricate... (jeff says, eyeing most of the wheels that have never
been done.. the knobby rubber tires.. and let's not forget the springs!!!..
those helix coils are a BREEZE in real software)...