 CAD / 8710
Re: Vector-graphic Octan logos (text and yin-yang)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:39:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeroen de Haan writes:
In lugnet.announce, James Wilson writes:
Not sure where to post this...
I have recently completed vector graphic versions of the Octan logos, both
the text and the “yin-yang.”  Until they are moderated, here are some GIF
versions of the files:
{snip]

Looks good! I'm an expierenced Illustrator user and I know how difficult it
is to draw smooth curves like that. Hats off!

If I may you give some tips on typography:
round letters (O,S,G, and the round parts of a,b,c etc) are a bit under the
x-lines of a letter. If you type a small x in a sans-serif typeface
(helvetica, Gill Sans, Arial) and would draw two horizontal lines on the top
and bottom of that x you get the x-lines of a letter. An letter "o" will be
a bit bigger than the x and overlap these lines. (This is because rounded
parts willl look smaller. Try this by drawing a 1 x 1 inch square next to a
1 inch diameter cirkel; the latter will look smaller!).
So in the Octan logo the you can use the vertical of the "n" to get the
x-lines and make the "c", the curves of the "a" and "n" and the bottom of
the "t" to overlap these lines.

I tried to find out which typeface Lego used, but couldn't find the righ
one; I think it is a mix of the Gill Sans or Antique Olive for the "Octn"
and a Futura for the "a".

If you like I can post a request on alt.bin.fonts (or you can do it
yourself) and ask if someone knows.

Happy Illustrating, Jeroen

ZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!   That's the sound of most of what you wrote
zipping over my head!  But, if I understand you correctly, I'll go back to
the original "Octan" text I have (found at the US Trademark/Patent office by
searching for Lego, BTW) and try to find the X lines for the other text and
give the "c" and the "o" another try.

I originally started working in Paint Shop Pro with text as vector objects,
then stretched letters until they were close approximations of the
"official" text.  Exported as postscript and continued in Illustrator.

As for the Yin-Yang, you're right, it was VERy difficult to get the curves
smooth.  They're basically combinations of ellipses and circles, using the
various merge/join/slice tools.  The hardest part was getting the "S" curve
on the inside surfaces of the Yin and Yang.  It took many, many tries until
it looked right.

Thanks for the info, and the kind words,
James