 CAD / 8699
Re: LPub - LEGO Publication made easy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:40:13 GMT

I worked on the RIS book that Syngress is going to publish and so I had
extensive experience working with LPub.  This tool really is amazing.  Kevin
has put a LOT of work into this program (I know, I bugged him with many
questions :) ) and it shows.  I think that I'm not exaggerating when I say
that this is going to revolutionize how the average AFOL looks at creating
dat's and instructions.  For people who haven't tried it yet, definitely
give it a try and enjoy the beautiful results!  Thanks again to Kevin for
doing an amazing job.
Luke
"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.announce, Kevin L. Clague writes:
I'm proud to annouce my first LEGO CAD program called LPub.  LPub stands • for
LEGO Publisher.  It is designed to automatically produce step by step
building instructions from your LDRAW format designs.  It uses L3P, • POV-Ray
and MEGA-POV (if you have it installed) to create beautiful back and • white
or color images of your design.  LPub can also produce web pages that • walk
you through the sequence of assembly steps.

I developed LPub while working on a step by step building instruction • book
for Syngress Publishing.  Miguel Agullo (a.k.a technicpuppy), Soren
Rolighed, Hideaki Yabuki and I used the original LPub to develop this • book
http://www.syngress.com/catalog/sg_main.cfm?pid=2272.  Syngress is • currently
using LPub to develop two more step by step construction books based on • the
RIS and Ultimate Builders Sets.

Here are some LPub highlights:
- Supports sub-assemblies in multiple files or MPD format
- Can produce step by step images or full assembly images
- Can produce JPEG or Windows Bitmap construction step images
- Supports ghosting out of previous steps' parts in construction images
- Supports MLCAD rotation steps
- Automatically produces part list image for each step
- Produces web pages in two formats (step per page or tabular)
- Graphics user interface to most L3P options
- Graphics user interface to many POV-Ray options
- Graphics user interface to MEGA-POV's edge find facility
- Supports LDR, DAT and MPD files
- Can create MPD files from top level LDR file
- Can extract LDR and DAT files from MPD file
- Tested on Windows 98, WIndows 2000 Pro and Windows XP

Feel free to try it.  Download it at • http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/LPub

Kevin,

Thanks for your superb effort. This tool is absolutely amazing!! I • encourage
anyone who creates .ldr/.dat files to download this tool and give it a • whirl!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
LEGO Enthusiast