 CAD / 7141
Re: New Box Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:20:06 GMT

"James Reynolds" <james.e.reynolds@m.cc.utah.edu> wrote in message
news:Gq87AK.MKK@lugnet.com...
I just don't think anyone in the Mac developer community knows about LDraw • or
has thought of doing anything like it.

Well, that's not entirely true (although it appears to be nearly true).
LDView will soon be available for Mac OS X.  A friend of mine has ported it,
and is finishing up the documentation, installer, etc.  All the non-UI code
is completely shared between the Windows and Mac OS X versions, so it will
have a vast majority of the features that the latest Windows version has
(along with many of the as-yet-undiscovered bugs).

However, this friend is a Mac OS X Cocoa developer, with a background more
similar to the people at Omni Group (NextStep/OpenStep), so he hasn't been a
Mac developer for all that long.  For that matter, I could have rather
easily ported it to Mac OS X myself, except for the minor detail that I
don't own a Mac.  (I also have an extensive NextStep/OpenStep background.)

However, the job of porting LDView was vastly simplified by the fact that it
uses OpenGL, and the fact that I kept the Windows-specific portions separate
from the OpenGL/LDraw model portions.  There is a vast difference between
that and creating an application from scratch.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)