 CAD / 6798
Re: New Ldraw animation with Pov-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
Impressive most impressive!!! I what to learn how to do that show me please,
is it easy?.

I really like the way you rende the lights.
Did you use Pov-ray and the l3p way or Anton Rave's lib?

Thanks for the comments,

I shortly describe what method I applied:

1. I built a model with LEdit/MLCAD, the land rover from the Canadian
Mountains set (6552). (Originally I planned to submit it to the OMR, but I
guess somebody already did). I put the moving/rotating subparts in separate
DAT files. I also included a few baseplates.

2. I used L3p to convert *.dat to *.pov

3. And from then (since this was only an experiment) I did every animation
task manually in the converted *.pov file.

4. I defined 12 clips (short sections in time (1-6 sec long)), and decided
what will move and how (eg. camera to move from here to there, lightsource
to move, to focus, to fade etc.)

5. I removed l3p's camera and lightsource definitions and replaced them with
my owns.

6. I made a copy of this *.pov file for each clip. (In fact, I made this
incrementally, after finishing one clip I copied everything for the next one.)

7. In each clip I searched those values in the *.pov file that will change
in time and determined their from->to values. In this experimenting phase
values change as linear functions of time. Later I surely will apply
quadratic or other functions too.

8. I wrote a little function macro in pov language to return the intended
values changing according the inner clock variable of POV, like this

    simple_motion ( start_time, finish_time, start_value, finish_value)

and I included its call in place of the value to move. E.g.

   light_source {
        vrotate (<0,-300,0>, <0,0,simple_motion(3,7,0,90)>)
        color rgb <1,1,1> * 3.0
        spotlight
        radius simple_motion (3,7,5,12)
        falloff simple_motion (3,7,6,15)
        tightness 1
        point_at <0, -25, 0>
   }

i.e. the rotating angle change from 0 to 90 while clock goes from 3rd to 7th
second. Similarly the radius and the falloff change smoothly.

9. I rendered the frames with POV to *.bmp files.

10. Than I assembled the *.bmp file to a compressed *.avi with Corel and
converted to *.mpeg.

As you can see this is a very manual workflow and it is not really suitable
for more complex animations, because every moving variable has to be
searched replaced by a macro. It is not a problem for the camera and light
sources, but it is tedious task for the L3p generated DAT originated code.
It is nearly impossible to find in 300 kByte source code the right parameter.

This approach differs from Tore Eriksson's LDA or James Reynolds' LANI
project, because there the frames are generated in DAT format that can be
later rendered with POV. Here the frames are produced inside POV.

I am now in the phase only gathering ideas and I haven't decided yet what
way to choose.

Thanks for you all,
comments, ideas, arguments etc. are welcome.

Ampi

         Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House
  email: ipapp@geometria.hu