 CAD / 6660
6659  |  6661
Subject:
Getting into Lego CAD (was Re: S/973p40a.dat ???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 09:54:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee writes:
Unofficial versions of both are available at the LDraw.org parts tracker
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/973p40.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/s/973p40a.dat

Thanks for that!

If you feel competant to comment on their accuracy and acceptability, please
consider signing up as a parts reviewer and help to get them made offical.

Soon perhaps...

I don't yet think of myself as competent to do anything but play around with
this stuff -- at least for now.  I had one failed attempt to get into the
CAD aspect of the hobby last year sometime, but have only truly begun to
mess with it since the other day when I posted my first model (I went from
installing everything to a finished model in POV in under 3 hours -- but I
am told I am good at figuring this sort of stuff out).  I feel ambitious but
it's not the case that the way has been made easy.

What is already present in this side of the hobby is GREAT!!!  But better
documentation for existing stuff (for the unbelievably cryptic LDAO
installation procedure maybe? I had to go back to LDraw.org and figure out
what I wasn't getting.) and a more robust authoring tutorial is needed.
To get into it right now, one has to be at least semi-tenacious  or
determined -- the way to proceed is not made clear.  There are dead links
everywhere on LDraw.org.  Critical information is buried in Lugnet threads
rather than being available in more straight-forward help files within
certain programs or on LDraw.org. When one rummages through Lugnet threads
one finds a lot of useful and even necessary information, but maybe this
stuff needs to be sifted for the good stuff and made into coherent and
easily found documents.  A lot of the conversations about creating
documentation seem to come to nothing except maybe the odd first draft on a
topic.

What? -- No dev link on the ldraw menu? Why not? Isn't the word "Repository"
a little too vague?  I am not even sure that OMR is a unifying goal for
people interested in Lego CAD development.  Is it?

I don't want to criticize anyone's past or current efforts, but into the
future I think something should be done to encourage use of the existing
software, create better documentation for all of it, and encourage parts
authoring by creating a better more complete tutorial and perhaps even tools
to facilitate the prescribed method.

And I don't want to criticize without offering my own time towards the
collective effort, but like I said -- I am not yet competent to offer such
help.  Give me some time on this.  As it stands, these comments are just a
newbie's observations.  Still, I hope they may prove useful comments...

I figure I am stating the obvious here, nothing y'all don't already know,
and it is not my intent to piss anybody off -- not at all!  To the contrary,
I congratulate you all on the amazing results you have collectively achieved
so far. Kudos are due everyone concerned.  Despite the drawbacks present in
this aspect of the hobby, the tools and parts are WAY COOL!

My hat is off to everyone concerned.

To end this post, allow me to pose two questions to y'all:

1.  What happened to the LDraw CD-ROM?
2.  Why is the source code for LDraw not available?  And there seems to be
some vehemence about the subject too...

-- Hop-Frog (who must stop writing posts late at night...)