 CAD / 6431
Re: Another LDrawn town (Was: Another house for datville?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:08:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:

But once Tore gets the interpreted POV-Ray file below 1 Gb,
we can start adding more buildings to the town. ;-)

I'm more interested in the methods he used, so that I can replicate it.

I like the idea of "going west" and creating another town,

I think growing interest via this method might be exponential, instead of
linear (as is true of the current method).

I am not sure I like the idea of making Datsville
static.

I really think that would be a better idea (with the exception of modifying
existing models).  I think it would be better to farm the technology out to
as many people as possible.  Otherwise, you may just end up with the same
problem: Datsville gets so large (even with Tore's optimizations) that only
the fewest number of people have access and ability to modify files within a
model.  There may be an inverse proportional relationship between Datsville
size and people's interest.  Was that not the case beforehand?  The
disadvantage, also, of Datsville is that there needs to be a moderator.
I/One can't just go hacking Datsville without comprimising some of the broad
appeal.
I measure broad appeal in terms of: popular support, lack of dissent, ease
and effectiveness with which other people (even novices) can take up similar
approaches, and, lastly, small file size.

Regarding the construction of other town/villages:

* We should probably put some hills or mountains
  around the towns, so we can render them without
  having to include neighbouring towns.

Splitting a large model into several, smaller towns would actually help
facilitate this.  It would be pragmatic to only render one town at a time.
Neighboring towns would simply lie over the horizon line (at least, pretend).

* If somebody would like to create a new town,
  then it is basically just a matter of building
  a house, adding a bit of road, deciding a name,
  and inviting people to add construtions to the
  town.

Thank you, that is very good advice.  I will follow it.

Mike   :)