 CAD / 6027
Re: Macintosh LEGO CAD/LEGO Designer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:54:20 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

OK, just in case anyone is still reading and wants to know what the problem was.
The problem was with processor cycling. I vaguely remember reading that VPC
recommends turning processor cycling off because processor cycling adversely
affects performance. I don't remember reading that processor cycling would cause
VPC to freeze, but that is what appears to have happened to me.

Thus, PowerBook users that are using VPC 4.0.2 to run MLCad should disable
processor cycling, and then there are no problems using MLCad and VPC on a Mac.
Processor cycling can be disabled by selecting the advanced options in the
Energy Saver control panel. Remember, you will have to make certain that the
processor cycling is disable for both the Power Adapter and Battery setting.

Chris

Just in case any one is actually reading what I am writing...

MLCad works fine with VPC 4.0 as long as my PBG3 (FireWire) (AKA Pismo) is
plugged in. When I run unplugged, the computer freezes after a while. I wonder
if the freezing has something to do with the "Energy Saver" settings. If I find
anything out, I'll let you know.

Chris

Christopher Masi wrote:

Oops, I have to add to my previous comment. I am currently having problems
running MLCad with VirtualPC 4.0. MLCad runs for a while and then my entire
computer freezes. I will reinstall VPC and MLCad and see if that solves the problem.

Chris

Christopher Masi wrote:

I just wanted to chime in here. Virtual PC is a workable solution for using
MLCad on a Mac. I have been using VPC 4.0 and MLCad 1.99 on a G3/400 PowerBook,
and I find it useable (much better than VPC 2.1.3). It is not going to win any
speed awards, but it works well for small to medium size models. So far the
biggest thing that I have done is a 200 pc tank car for my trains. That was done
on a PB 1400 with VPC 2.1.3. Now, THAT was an exercise in patience!

Chris

Matthew Gerber wrote:

Thanks Ben,

I was afraid that I might end up being a LUGNET guinea pig for this
software...oh well, what's another $50.00 down the tubes.

I'll be sure to post a review of LEGO Designer when I do get it, so others
might know what it's all about.

BTW, is anyone using BrickDraw3D to view .dat files? I've got it crashing
whenever I try to bring up the parts list. Also, It seems to me that if I
can move a piece of a model, it shouldn't be too hard to make my own models
from there.  I'm a designer, not a programmer, so I don't know the
nitty-gritty fo the code...but logic dictates, right?

I'm going to download LDraw tomorrow and try to do a direct port of it in
RealBasic. Someone stop me if they've tried this...

Matt

In lugnet.cad, Ben Vaughan writes:
Welcome Matthew!

Unfortunately, I don't know what the Pitsco software is like.  But, as a
fellow Mac user, I'd love to find out!

Ben

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:41:22 -0600, Matthew Gerber wrote
(in message <GBLoGy.Azp@lugnet.com>):

Greetings all,

I've ordered LEGO Designer from Pitsco, and was wondering if any of you have
used it. Is it similar to LDraw, or am I just getting the old LEGO CAD in a
new package? Basically, do I opn the package when it gets here, or just send
it back unopened?

I ordered it due to the lack of a Macintosh version of LDraw, and hope to
make it do the same amazing things you all are doing. I've found LDMC, and
joined that list, and I certainly hope that some excitement can be built
around this project.

Any replies to this, my first post to these groups, is welcome.

Thanks!

Matthew Gerber

--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/