 CAD / 5508
Re: Feedback on everything CAD related
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:42:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Kyle, I'm printing out your post right now and I'm going to let it sink in for a
while, re-read it and try to make sense of what's happening and why.  I have
solicited the support and feedback of a few other major contributors and will
try to devote a chunk of time to working through this problem tomorrow.  It
*shouldn't* be this complex, and I *didn't* know it was.  I'll be back with a
more lengthy reply later, and hopefully with some solutions too.  Thanks for
your feedback... it wasn't fun to read, but someone has to do it. :-)

Thanx for your help Tim.  Again, just in case it wasn't clear
the first time, my intent is not to gripe and snipe at the work
of people who provide these great tools as a courtesy to the rest of
us.  It's just that there is a lot of focus on the "bigger and
better things" in the future of LEGO CAD, that maybe some of
the smaller every day things get overlooked.  Things that the
developers and "regulars" perhaps don't notice, but something
that newbies are definitely going to smack face-first into...,
with great pain  :]

In my case, problems were caused by many "little" things like
broken links, out-of-date readme.txt files, and some information
not being smack-me-over-the-head obvious.  To my credit I am
a veteran computer user and coder and would eventually figure out
what I have to do anyhow.  But for the great many newcomers who
aren't, I can imagine them having even worse of a time.  "Little"
things like how to set an environment variable for instance.

Another thing I could add is that I first installed the Ldraw/MLCAD
deal early last fall using the "Get Started NOW!" procedure on
Ldraw.org.  And it worked like a charm and I was up and running in
no time.  I think I even posted a testimonial then stating how
ecstatic I was  :]  But in this recent case I was trying to update the
tools already installed.  And there seems no friendly procedure
available for that.  I believe it would be unwise to assume that
because someone has installed it all the first time, they are
now an expert enough to manually plot through the updating
sequences.  I think maybe this would be a good place to focus
some efforts in the future.  It all depends on how easy people
want to make it, and whether they've the time they want to devote
to it, I guess.

I only wish I had enough time to help with these tasks.  But my
plate is just too full of other activities right now.  One of these
days I hope help out by making part files for the libraries.  In
the meantime about the only thing I can offer is feedback such as
this.  It's not meant to criticize anyone's efforts, so I genuinely
hope that someone will find it useful.

Thanx,
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada