 CAD / 5501
Re: Feedback on everything CAD related
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:28:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
G'day folks,

I've got some miscelleaneous ramblings here regarding a variety
of CAD software and their websites.  I'm posting it here because
I find it very difficult to determine who is responsible for
what..., that is feedback in itself  :]  Also, because there
has been so much talk lately regarding organizations, developer
collaboration, etc., etc., I figured there's info in here of
use to everyone involved.  Consider this a testimonial from
Joe Schmoe (no relation actually) trying to find his way
through the minefield that is the CAD community.

On the other hand, if you are a new user, it is rather easy to start from
the MLCAD page, go to its download page, read the instructions, then go to
the provided link for the LDraw page, go to the "For Beginners" section,
download the LDraw stuff, download the "complete" file, download the patch,
run the patch, which flawlessly fixes the bug, download MLCAD, make a parts
list, and smooth saily from there...

...then check the updates page and see the complete file is indeed bigger,
so download it (realizing that people who put this stuff up here are humans
and have real jobs to do, so do not mind redundant download)...

...although the current MLCAD tutorial did nothing for me...no instructions,
no nothing, except it opens MLCAD and loads something and then sits there.
Not much of a tutorial I think, so ...

...I have not yet really used MLCAD/LDraw/LEdit because I haven't the
foggiest idea how; no intuitive use pops out to me, including how to make
building instructions from an MLCAD .dat file I had found and downloaded,
which was the whole reason I wanted to download MLCAD in the 1st place...

...so I agree it is frustrating, but this is volunteer world, not microsoft.