 CAD / 499
Re: Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:44:16 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:27:13 GMT, Laurentino Martins
<lau@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

Hum... I not sure I understood.
First, because it's not a part file: It's a model. OK, it's a model that
pretends being to be part file ;-)

Right.  LDraw itself doesn't differentiate between parts and models.
That's just a convenience for us humans.

As someone already called it, it's a "Mock-Up". I just don't have the
time to build a part file from scratch right now.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I was under the impression that you were going
to work on a 'real' part-file.  So the rest of this post is somewhat
academic.  Ignore it if you want.

What I was trying to say is that LDraw parts use color #16.  This is not
a specific color, it is a command to LDraw to use the color specified in
the model file.  I guess it can be called a place-holder.

Likewise, color #24 tells LDraw to use a color which is complementary to
the color-16.  Usually, color #24 is used for edge-lines in parts.

I realize that CyberMaster units are only made in one color, but it's as
easy to create the part-file using color #16 as color #291.  That way,
if the FAQ is changed to say that the new teal color should be
represented with color #3 or color #310, you could easily change your
model (which use your mocked-up part-file) to the new color-value.  And
if you share your mockup with other people, someone might find it useful
to create a model with the CyberMaster unit in some other color -- maybe
if they were creating a model with multiple units, and they wanted an
easy way to refer to specific units in the model.

Steve