 CAD / 4972
Re: *** The best LEGO CAD software ? ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:41:31 GMT

I'm a bit new to this myself, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I recommend using MLCAD (on Windows) to actually edit the LEGO models.  This
is a very good editor, but it only has rudimentary display capabilities.

Then, get L3P to convert the MLCAD files (.dat) into a file format that can
be rendered with a high-quality 3-d rendering tool, POV-RAY.  I recommend a
program called L3PAO which is a windows wrapper for this MS-DOS command-line
utility.

Next, you need to actually get POV-Ray.  This renders the pictures in
stunning quality with advanced shading and reflectivity.

Here is a sample:

http://members.home.net/hmltn1/ldraw/lorenz.htm

As far as I know, you can get all this stuff (including installation
instructions) at www.ldraw.org.

By the way, all the editor programs use a common file format called .dat.
This was originated (as far as I know) with a program called LDRAW that was
the original "CAD" program for LEGO.  Also, all the parts are stored in this
format (.dat) so all the tools can use the same parts!  People can even
build their own new parts!

norbert grellneth <grellneth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hi all!

I'm new on Lugnet so please be patient with me if this was yet mentioned.
Can somebody tell me what's the best CAD software to create LEGO models on
computer ? I mean which CAD is most easy to control, has most parts etc. ?

Thank you all for help.

Norbert