 CAD / 4966
Re: Is it appropriate to post large models here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:39:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jamie Obrien wrote:

Hi, my current stadium (sans spectators) comes in at around 4000
pieces, and the POV file is HUMUNGUS (i think it was 8MB!). That
doesn't count the all important bmp-dat stuff i've done.

When posting dats, is it appropriate to include hi-res bmp-dat pieces,
or to have a generic (or leave them out completely) piece. I have a
large video screen that i'm cleaning up (12x12) of Master Owen scoring
again, but comes in at close to a Meg in size. How many lines for a
bmp-dat is about the max?

Yikes!  That is big.

From what Todd said before, a one-time posting of a large DAT would be
alright.  From his POV.

That makes me think:  is there a BMP2DAT program that uses the direct-color
syntax of LDLite & MLCad?  Having RGB colors available would allow
model-makers to use lower resolution, which would reduce file size.

Steve