 CAD / 4583
Re: Parts names wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:01:22 GMT

I'm glad to see some good part name thinking has come up.

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
I'd rather see:

32324 Technic Brick  4 x  4 with Holes and Open Center
Placing the "Open Center" after "with Holes" increases similarity to other
Technic Brick part names.

Your term "Open Center" and the reversed order is much better than my
suggestion was. I agree with this name.

Sure, except for the size:

Technic Beam  3 x  7 x  2 Fork with 3 Fingers

Of course, can't do without the size. Agree.

I'm also thinking it's time to rename the liftarms (especially the
full-width liftarms) to "Technic Beam". • [snip]
Unfortunately, many people use "beam" to refer to LDraw's "Technic Brick"
pieces.  Are there any other labels we could use?  They don't have studs,
so they're somewhat like tiles, maybe "Technic Tile Beam"? (yuck)

Brainstorm mode on:

"Technic Rounded Beam"
"Technic Smooth Beam"
"Technic Softline Beam" (1)

(1) In the Netherlands, we can buy something called "Softline shelves" in the
hardware/home improvement shops. It are shelves with rounded edges (seen in
cross section) similar to the rounded ends on all(?) those Lego beams.
I don't now if this term "Softline" is familiar outside Europe.

As for the other parts with holes in their middles, some suggestions for more
uniformity in their names:

Bracket  4 x  7 x  3
I suggest to add "Open Center" to the name.

Car Base  4 x  5
I suggest to add "Open Center" to the name.

Cone  4 x  4 x  2 Hollow No Studs
I suggest to keep the name as it is, on grounds of the different shape, depth
and function of the hole.

Plate  6 x  6 Octagonal Open Center
No change.

Plate  6 x 16 with Motor Cutout
I suggest to keep the name as it is, the shape of the hole is very specific
for the purpose being refered to in the name.

Plate 10 x 10 Octagonal Open Center
No change.

Train Base  6 x 24
I suggest to keep the name as it is. The part has two size 2 x 1 holes that
are relatively small compaired to the overall size of the part, and are not
realy significant or restrictive to its use.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.