 CAD / 446
Re: CM from other LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:50:29 GMT

Laurentino Martins wrote in message <36948355.5C4CB6BF@mail.telepac.pt>...

I've been busy the last couple of days struggling with LDraw & LEdit.
Disappointed with the lack of models for CyberMaster (I know the same
happens with RIS) I thought it should be interesting to create mine just
for learning.
I've built it from other LEGO parts and I know the result is not
beautiful, specially where round parts are involved.
Maybe with a 3D rendering package that doesn't show the edges it becomes
acceptable?

I was told my model (that intended to be a part) is not worth anything
because it cannot be turned into a part like it is, so I'm giving up
building stuff with LDraw. It's just to complicated... I only wanted to
create a nice 3D rendering of my bot... :-(

Don't give up so soon!  Ldraw takes a little while to get good at, but once
you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.  People here and on Lcad list are
more than willing to help with questions (note the lack of expressed
irritation with newbies).

I'm sure nobody told you your CyberMaster "mock-up" wasn't worth anything; I
think they meant it wasn't that helpful for creating an official Ldraw part
(which is a very different thing!).  Mock-ups are perfectly acceptable for
conveying information as to how your model is constructed, and if the
renderings arent perfect, so what!  I'm sure we've all had to use our
imagination from time to time to make up for missing parts.  And when you
get tired of mock-ups, you'll probably decide to take the time and learn to
create your own parts.  Then you get to use the part and receive the
satisfaction of contributing something back to the Ldraw community.

-John Van