 CAD / 3316
3315  |  3317
Subject:
sticky proggy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:54:10 GMT

Is there a program available suitable for animation where I can load the LDraw
file (converted to *.DXF or whatever) and make the hinges move as they would
in real life?  It's a pain to have to realign each part manually and not have
it automatically effect all other parts accordingly.  It would be great if all
parts would stay connected when you move them.
E.G. Say you have a model of a humanoid.  If you move the torso, the arms and
legs should move as well, because they're connected.  If you move the hand to
a desired position, the elbow and shoulder should move with it.  If you bend
at the hips, the whole upper body should bend as well. etc. etc.
I understand that you can simulate this by dividing the model into subparts.
But in LDraw if you rotate the subpart, you have no guarantee that they'll
rotate according to the hinge.  I see movies that are 3-d animated, and I
wonder how they move their models without having them fall apart every time.
It would be great if a proggy like MLCAD had a "sticky" mode in it where you
can only move the parts according to the hinges contained therein.  Is there
some sort of outside utility I can use which can do this?
Mike