 CAD / 320
Re: Heavy Duty Articulated Pulling Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:08:45 GMT

8459 Front End Loader has the articulation that required. It uses a similarly
designed one for its secondary model, too.

regards,

Selçuk

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

<hook clarification>

So if the hook is at the correct height, you can just back the truck up
in the correct direction, and then flip the crossblock to slide the
halfbeams back up, thus locking the trailer in place.  The mechanism is
much like that of 8872

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8872

Thanks. I see now. And BTW, what a cool set! I'd never seen that one
before.

Have you tried giving it an earthmover (Articulated truck or scraper)
back end?

That would mean putting a scraper in front of the rear wheels, right?
That would be possible, but would probably mean that the chassis need
some reorganizing, since the two 10-axles that hold the chassis together
are in the way of the scraper.

I went to the Cat site to find one but came up short. However there are
some other interesting construction pics there...

http://www.cat.com/cgi-bin/frameset.pl?nav=products&content=/products/equipment/equipment.html&target=_top&title=Caterpillar%20-%20Products%20-%20Equipment

That's cool!  I would like to make one of those really large dump trucks
in a minifig scale, but I don't quite know how to make the steering
work.  A rack and pinion version would require too much space, I think.

Not really. Remember that in the largest truck they do, the cab floor is
20-30 feet off the ground. You could use Big Foot wheels with a full
blown articulated suspension with rack and pinion steering and a
differential and still have room to mount an engine model in all that
space (the truck would no doubt be a good 20 studs wide, and the cab
floor would be 8-12 bricks off the ground.)

Besides, how would the dump be constructed?  Any ideas?

Either something done with hinge bricks, or lots and lots of plates
sandwiched around a technic axle and beam skeleton. Again, the dump body
holds 3-400 TONS of material so it's HUGE. It's amazing to think that
they move around with no more engine power than an over the road truck
(3-400 horsepower, about 2-3 times that of a normal passenger car
nowadays). It's all in the gearing.

These trucks are so large that they are shipped in pieces and assembled
on the site. They take up 3 lanes of roadway so never dare venture out
onto highways.

Fredrik

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.