 CAD / 318
Re: Heavy Duty Articulated Pulling Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:21:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

This is a cool model. But it looks more like an earth mover than a
conventional over the road vehicle.

Yes, you're probably right about that.  It was modeled after an
articulated vehicle used to pull aircrafts at an airport.  My model is a
tad to long, but otherwise pretty much like the real thing.

Also, I'm unclear where the hook goes.

Flipping the yellow crossblock on the side makes the yellow halfbeams
barely visible on the top slide backwards.  So the hook goes just in
front of these halfbeams, and is secured in front of the bushing between
the halfbeams in the "locked" position.

So if the hook is at the correct height, you can just back the truck up
in the correct direction, and then flip the crossblock to slide the
halfbeams back up, thus locking the trailer in place.  The mechanism is
much like that of 8872

    http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8872

Have you tried giving it an earthmover (Articulated truck or scraper)
back end?

That would mean putting a scraper in front of the rear wheels, right?
That would be possible, but would probably mean that the chassis need
some reorganizing, since the two 10-axles that hold the chassis together
are in the way of the scraper.

I went to the Cat site to find one but came up short. However there are
some other interesting construction pics there...

http://www.cat.com/cgi-bin/frameset.pl?nav=products&content=/products/equipment/equipment.html&target=_top&title=Caterpillar%20-%20Products%20-%20Equipment

That's cool!  I would like to make one of those really large dump trucks
in a minifig scale, but I don't quite know how to make the steering
work.  A rack and pinion version would require too much space, I think.
Besides, how would the dump be constructed?  Any ideas?

Fredrik