 CAD / 3191
Re: does datsville need jobs?i think i have the answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:01:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Burger writes:
Introducing the biggest model ever built , 144 studs by 96 studs, by 21 bricks
high,

Actually, you are not quite there.  The train modules I and the GMLTC build
are 144 x 96 x 20 1/3 each and adding a single brick to the top beats yours.
Also, several modules are joined together for "one model" of a landscape.  For
example, there is the three module loop that is a rock quary, which would be
three times the surface area and probably almost twice as high.

I think that would qualify for largest model ever built by any of the Lugnet
group - even though Conan isn't on Lugnet.  As I have not finished my subway
loop, I can't beat his 3 module scene and won't be finished for a few months.
When I get mine done, it will be 5 modules, which makes it 30 large gray
baseplates.

That Aparthenon was also pretty big, I recall.

At some point, I wonder where it ceases to be one "model" and becomes
several "models," if it ever does.  The entire GMLTC layout is 16 modules
(plus a few that people other than Conan own) if I am not mistaken.  If that
counted as one model, it would be almost impossible for another person (not
affiliated with TLG) to beat.

I would have to guess that when they get that big, it would probably be more
fair to go by weight as a judge.  How else could one compare something like
Eric Harberdasher's (sorry Eric, I couldn't remember your last name) tall
creations, like Alice in Wonderland, to sprawling short layouts.  Also, if you
only measure the highest and widest points, a  few 1x600x2 walls intersecting
with a 4x4x200 brick tower would be huge in shear dimensions, but in actuality
pretty small.

Of course, people can't even agree on how to say which skyscraper is the
world's tallest.  Do they count antannae?  Is it the highest floor?  Occupied
floor?  Whichever way you choose, you may have a different winner.

Either way you look at it, it probably is not the biggest model.  Not even
close, really.  But still, it is huge.  And it looks pretty nice.  Too bad we
cant get all those 1x4x2 classic windows in black.  :-(

Mike

is my "RAILCAR MANUFACTURING FACILITY"
90% of it was done in SIMLEGO, currently 11 seporite dat files make up the
whole thing (bunch of addons)

homepage  :  www.geocities.com/tburger666/lego/trainshop.htm
latest pic:  www.geocities.com/tburger666/lego/trn-sh05.gif