 CAD / 2268
Re: Lego Space Craft Movies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:11:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Pat Justison wrote:
I'm interested in creating movies (animated sequences) based on Lego space
ships.  My intent is to create CAD files of some of my ships and then import
those into Lightwave 5.5.

You've announced it -- now you must show it to us!  Muah ha hah hah hah
*ahem*  Please continue.

My first question; is this possible?  You must
somehow convert the Lego CAD (l-draw or LeoCAD) data file into a format that
POV-Ray can use.  Do you think that I could use this same conversion for use
wuth Lightwave?

I would probably recommend converting the DAT files into DXF (Autocad),
which Lightwave will probably support.  You can find a DAT2DXF converteter
somewhere, I can't seem to find it though.  :-(

My other big question is what is the software of choice for creating Lego • CAD
files?

Other than LDraw, you mean?  There are a few re-write projects going on, but
LDraw / LEdit seems to be the best bet right now.

As for ray-tracing, I see a lot of people using POV-Ray; Lars Hassing's l3p
can do the conversion:

http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/l3p.html

The only problem (even though it is a *wonderful* program) is that when parts
are converted and used in another 3D program (I use trueSpace), there is no gap
between the pieces.  An example is that 2 2x2 bricks, end to end in the same
color, look like a 2x4.  Mayhaps the creator of DAT2DXF (forgot who, sorry...)
could implement this in the next version.  Otherwise, Pat (and other non-POV
users), I'm working on remodeling all of the parts in trueSpace's .COB format.
I've got 5 parts done so far.  Slightly slow process....

Charles