 CAD / 1899
Re: Newbie/Other 3D Programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 07:33:45 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 08:58:20 GMT, "Lars C. Hassing" <lch@ccieurope.com> wrote:

3DWin is a small uitility for Win95/NT to convert 3D files to a
number of other 3D formats.

Upon request a month ago from a swedish L3P user, Mattias =
Br=E4ndstr=F6m,
I contacted Thomas Baier, the author of 3DWin. I suggested that he
added our DAT file format, and after a few mails back and forth he
informed me that 3DWin can now import standard LDraw .DAT files.

Very interesting development.  Thanks for the info, Lars.

You can export to the following formats:

Generic ASCII format *.raw
3DStudio             *.3ds, *.prj, *.asc
Imagine              *.iob, *.obj
Lightwave            *.lwo, *.lws
Autodesk             *.dxf
POV-Ray              *.pob (*.pov)
Alias/Wavefront      *.obj
SoftFX               *.sce
RenderWare           *.rwx
VRML 1.0             *.wrl
Direct X 3D          *.x
OpenGL               *.c=20
Real 3D              *.rpl, *.obj
POV-Ray 3 and Moray  *.inc, *.udo
Polyray and Moray    *.inc, *.udo

I have only done very little testing, as 3DWin was ready just
before I switched to a new computer at home, but I remember
that the exported files were HUGE, easily several MB. I cannot
remember if there is linetype 2 and 5 support, maybe not.

The link to 3DWin is:
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/tools.html

Going to have to update mine and check this out.  3dWin is an interesting
program, and I have tried using it to do 3DS to POV/Moray conversions.  But it
is frustrating in that it does not include the image-maps/textures of the 3DS
object, just the meshes.  <sigh>

But then, why should I check this out?  I only am interested in DAT to POV
conversions, and I doubt if it is better than L3P.  :-)

-- Terry K --