 CAD / 1890
RE: Newbie/Other 3D Programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:58:20 GMT

3DWin is a small uitility for Win95/NT to convert 3D files to a
number of other 3D formats.

Upon request a month ago from a swedish L3P user, Mattias Brändström,
I contacted Thomas Baier, the author of 3DWin. I suggested that he
added our DAT file format, and after a few mails back and forth he
informed me that 3DWin can now import standard LDraw .DAT files.

You can export to the following formats:

Generic ASCII format *.raw
3DStudio             *.3ds, *.prj, *.asc
Imagine              *.iob, *.obj
Lightwave            *.lwo, *.lws
Autodesk             *.dxf
POV-Ray              *.pob (*.pov)
Alias/Wavefront      *.obj
SoftFX               *.sce
RenderWare           *.rwx
VRML 1.0             *.wrl
Direct X 3D          *.x
OpenGL               *.c
Real 3D              *.rpl, *.obj
POV-Ray 3 and Moray  *.inc, *.udo
Polyray and Moray    *.inc, *.udo

I have only done very little testing, as 3DWin was ready just
before I switched to a new computer at home, but I remember
that the exported files were HUGE, easily several MB. I cannot
remember if there is linetype 2 and 5 support, maybe not.

The link to 3DWin is:
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/tools.html

See also LDraw DAT to DXF format converter - by Paulo Caparica Junior:
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/3269/
and "dat to vrml":
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paris.jean-pierre/LD2VR/ld2vr.htm
/Lars