 CAD / 17548
Re: How About a Color Tracker?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 13:05:07 GMT

I don't think much harm is done about silver colors - afterall, correspondance
with LEGO internal color numbers remain somewhat academic, what we need is to
know which LDraw color to use in each case.

If I understand well (correct me otherwise!):
- Color 383 is to be used only for shiny, polished chrome silver
- Color 80 is for painted silver, be it for entire parts (eg some Technic
wheels, or medieval helmets) or for patterned parts.
- Color 179 goes with tainted in the mass, swirled silver parts (eg. a lot a
Bionicle parts)
Other minor variations do exist as LEGO processes evolved, but as far as I can
tell they can be easily mapped to one of the three LDraw colors above.

As to a Color Tracker...there are no rules to go by, so it comes down to who has
the strongest opinion.  With nearly everyone having different opinions, LDConfig
would be deadlocked in the Tracker forever.

You're probably right... what would be useful nonetheless would be a page with
each LDraw color and one (or more) _good_ photograph of a part using it.

Philo