 CAD / 17535
Re: I need insight/ideas for my new LDraw editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 23:13:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
To me atleast MLCad's way of placing parts is the most common and natural way of
placing parts in a 3D.

Although I do like the mlcad approach, the biggest problem I use to have with it
is obstruction. Especially with bigger models.

I do plan to support multiple view ports in my new editor but those will all be
'perspective' in order to solve the obstruction issue. But due to the responses
regarding mlcad on this thread I'm thinking about using 'editorial behavior' on
those views as if they where 'front' or 'left' etc, basically translating mouse
operations to 2D space according to selected 'editing viewpoint' regardless of
the view precise angle. If really needed I can always add an forced view ortho
mode option for the purists :)

But I'm still struggling on how to present this all to the user, especially
combined with relative placing. Also I want it to be fully usable using only a
single view, cause 4 views are nice for editing but it also will make rendering
4 times slower which can be a killer on big models. Personally I'm hoping to
keep things fast (>15 fps) up to at least 2500 parts or so (on my AMD Phenom
9600 with a Radeon 3870 @ 1920x1200).

Roland