 CAD / 16051
Re: Learning LSynth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:51:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jetro de Chateau wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Eric Albrecht wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jetro de Chateau wrote:
   A related question: I’d like to render a Fiber Optic cable like the one in the Spybotics sets which is quite a bit thicker than the ones that came with the FOS. Any thoughts on how to do that?

I guess today is your lucky day because I have had to do something very similar.

First of all, be aware that the LSynth primitives used for pneumatic tubing, flex tubing, flex cable, fiber optics, and rubber bands are all basically the same thing. They are just cylinders with different sizes. In fact, flex cable and fiber optic cable actually use the very same dat file which is LS31.dat. The only difference is that the fiber optic cable has a flared end on it.

So this means that one option is to simply go edit LS31. You’ll see one cylinder here and you can change the radius just by changing the non-zero numbers. Of course if you do this then LS31 won’t be right for the other types of parts any more. Another option would be to make a new file called, for example, jetro.dat. After you have run LSynth, fire up a text editor and do a find and replace with LS31.dat-->jetro.dat.

One final option is what I actually used on this render (illuminated in red) which has 16 fiber optic cables. For whatever reason, you will find that the algorithm for fiber optic cables creates a HUGE number of cylinders. I had over 20,000 and this was choking both MLCad and my renderer. I solved it by using pneumatic tubing (LS21) instead and just shrinking the radius. This decreased the number of cylinders by a factor of 10 and still looks fine. Since you actually want a bigger cross section anyway, you might simply try using pneumatic tubing instead. Just use a color of 47 (trans clear).

Eric

Thank you for your clear and simple solutions. Since it is relatively simple to get this to work I suppose it will be one of the new features of the upcoming release (hint, hint...)

Jetro,

The new LSynth (I am actively working on a release as of yesterday), does not have these problems, so there is no need for a new feature. Don Heyse, Holywood and I worked a lot on LSynth..... All the hard coded parts described by Eric yesterday are described in an MPD file separate from the LSynth code. You can introduce new constraint types, replace old constraint types, and introduce new hose and band types simply by editing the MPD file.

Jetro

Kevin