 CAD / 15719
Re: LGEO update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lutz Uhlmann wrote:
   Hi Travis, I did not want the LEGO text for copyright issues. In ld_defs.inc, just remove the translate statements at the end of declarations for letters E and G to create original logo as L3P uses.

I suspected that might be the reason, and I figured out how to do the swap. However, POV export is a new feature of the upcoming LDView 4.0, along with LGEO support in that POV export. I’d prefer if there were an easy way that I could force “LEGO” on the studs instead of “LGEO” via a POV #declare.

IANAL, but my understanding is that LEGO is OK with this kind of usage as long as there is a disclaimer. For example, adding the following as a comment at the top of lg_defs.inc would probably be sufficient:

LEGO and the LEGO logo are registered trademarks of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this library.

Interestingly enough, the following (emphasis mine) shows up at the bottom of lego.com:

LEGO, the LEGO logo, DUPLO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS, the BELVILLE, CLIKITS, KNIGHTS’ KINGDOM and EXO-FORCE logos, the Brick and Knob configurations and the Minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group.

Interesting, because as far as I know they never had the brick and knob configuration trademark in the US, and they just lost it in the EU.

--Travis