 CAD / 15581
Re: Request for more stringent naming of (Complete|Shortcut) parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 05:05:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
used for this, and LPub already recognizes that.  So how is it that when a user
uses 4107488.dat, 680.dat, 681.dat, and 682.dat show up in the BOM (which I
believe is the problem you want to solve)?

The point is that the model does *not* use 4107488.dat because that is not the
right shape for the model...... If everyone only ever used 4107488.dat, I would
not have brought it up.

Sorry.  I misinterpreted your initial post.  I just went back and reread it, and
see that it doesn't actually say that the user used 4107488.dat, but it does
seems to imply this (at least to me).

Chris has told me how to recognize the complete parts.  What I am considering is
LPub scans the library for a list the "complete" parts.  I would add new code
to open up and examine the complete parts, and try to compress the list of
sub-pieces in the PLI into complete parts.

I had forgotten about that new format for the LDRAW_ORG line, even though we
(the LSC) only approved it a few months ago.

solution would impact official parts.  My suggestion would be another LPub
begin/end meta pair to say "all lines between this begin and end should be
treated as a single part in the BOM".  Note: since it seems that I'm

We have that already.

OK.

I can't recall having ever seen a set that contained minifigs that didn't have
the minifig building steps at the very beginning of the set's instructions.
Having said that, the arms, legs and hands can all be at arbitrary angles if the
figure is placed into the model in the instructions, so it's still theoretically
possible that it would be good to have a fully built minifig show up in a BOM.
I still think this would better be served by LPub-specific meta-commands in the
model itself, though, since the user obviously couldn't put their custom-posed
minifig in the official library.

Obviously I don't buy sets with minifigs....... :^)

You mean you don't have the big Falcon?  It does have a fair number of old-style
technic beams ;-) (although they are new gray).

--Travis