 CAD / 15566
15565  |  15567
Subject:
Request for more stringent naming of (Complete|Shortcut) parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 03:33:14 GMT

Hi,
  I want to start by thanking the LDraw Standards Committee for all their
diligent work in stratifying the documentation on LDraw Header format:

  http://www.ldraw.org/Article398.html

  As thorough as this document is, it is incomplete or ambiguous in the area of
describing "compound parts".  For example 4107488.dat, "Technic Tread (Complete
Shortcut)" is actually composed of multiple of 681.dat, 680.dat, and 682.dat
instances.

  Without guidance, LPub happily shows N 680.dats, M 681.dats, and O 682.dats,
which make absolutely no sense to LDraw novices.  Sure, the version of LSynth
that our dear friend Willy uses, automatically solves this problem.......
but.....

  Where possible I'd like LPub to automatically know that N 680's, M 681's and O
682's means one 4107488.dat in the part list image.  Think of a more simple
case: Minifigs...... as dear as they are, the are compound parts.

  I'd like LPub to see N instances of battle droid head, battle droid torso, two
battledroid arms, and two battledroid legs and realize that they are a
battledroid.

  How will it know this?  Look at all examples of "compound parts" in all the
official and unofficial parts directories and know what they are composed of.

  I've come up with simple rules for detecting "compound parts".....

    grep "Compound" * > foo
    grep "Shortcut" * >> foo

but this is a heuristic, not a perfect algorithm.  If we could come up with a
more precise "complete shortcut" description, it could be much more computable.

Kev