 CAD / 15474
Re: LPub4 and Killer Dozers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:33:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   These dozers look like a lot of fun, Philo! I especially like that you managed to build them as alternate models. A great model to share with instructions.

In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   Once you have correctly added steps to your models (that remains a lenthy process to get a really buildable thing), LPub 4 makes instructions creation and layout really easy! Thanks again, Kevin!

It sure does!

Good point - including steps is an important step for making instructions. Had you not done so originally? I am fortunate in that I was in the habit of LDrawing models step-by-step even before I tried LPub. Credit is probably due to Bricksmith’s hierarchical file contents list for starting that habit.

   It would be interesting for me to see the mpd file that was used to create that awaresome building instruction. I am yet not familar with LPub4 to get such results.

I would be glad to share the LDraw/LPub files for the instructions I’ve posted on Flickr, although they aren’t Technic models:

http://flickr.com/photos/anoved/tags/lpub/

If you are having difficulty placing callouts, note that there is a bug in LPub 4.0 which inserts the callout placement command in the submodel instead of where the submodel is referenced. I understand that Kevin has fixed this but I don’t think an update has been released. I just cut-and-paste to work around it; Philo might have done the same thing (?).

Traditionally I’ve made MPDs with submodels based on bits that move or are built separately in the actual model. This works fine with LPub for the most part, but in the case of very simple submodels callouts seem unnecessary, and I’ve found that submodel callouts help clarify some assemblies that I wouldn’t otherwise have built as submodels.

Playing with LPub has added a new layer of possibilities to LDraw for me. I think it is fun, so I encourage you to keep experimenting with it too.

Jim

Jim has the advantage because he can build his own Mac version of LPub4 from sourceforge sources. His (and my) version have the fix for anything “callout” related being put inside the callout. Some things go in the callout, and others go in the callout’s parent file.

I have to say that Jim has been a great help in checking out the new bugs.... er, um... new features, and bug fix attempts.....

I’ve added new edit window behaviors. When you change pages, LPub displays the file that the page is for, and scrolls it so top of page is at the top of the edit window (except close to top and bottom of files). Also when you click on an assembly image, the step’s ldraw file/lines are scrolled to fit in the text edit window.

I fixed that pesky model scale being truncated to the tenth’s place bug.

I also calibrated LDView to produce the same size images as LDGLite (given the same scale).

I removed the annoying and dysfunctional “file change watcher” dialog.

The “getting things in the right place in the LDraw file” thing involved an overhaul (with major simplifications ;^) of the back-annotation of menu/dialog edits into the LDraw file(s)

Apparently LPub4 does not jive with Steve Barile’s expectations (bah! ;^), but otherwise people generally seem to like LPub4.