 CAD / 15368
Re: Problem with LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:58:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim David wrote:
I spoke too soon. Although it started working, it then stopped working halfway
through rendering some parts for LPub. From then on it crashed on opening.
I went through the reg keys you listed and the last one (it would be!) IgnoreVBO
seems to have cured it for now.

(I did list that one first for a reason: to me it seemed the most likely
culprit.)

OK.  Peter Bartfai (the person who maintains LDView's Linux port) has had
crashes related to VBO in Linux on an ATI card.  I'm not getting them with my
ATI card (HD 2600 XT) in Windows or Linux, but I know that something is up with
LDView's VBO handling.  I will be trying to track down the problem, but since it
doesn't crash on my machine, it could take awhile.

The good news is that IgnoreVBO shouldn't have too big an effect on performance
(at least when memory usage is set to "High" or "Medium").  Speaking of which,
do you have memory usage set to "High" or "Medium" in LDView's general
preferences?  VBO gets pounded much harder when memory usage is set to "Low".  I
think I'll give that a try to see if I can trigger a crash.

--Travis